MICROBLADING: What to expect
What to expect during your microblading session at Blink Brow Bar
> Budget at least 2-hours for your microblading appointment at Blink You can’t rush perfection! Your Blink Brow Bar technician’s goal is to give you perfectly arched and full brows in exactly the right shape for your face.
> Semi-permanent brows might seem daunting for some, but rest easy. The first thing we’ll do after you relax over a cup of our signature Chai tea is draw on your new brow look. This way you can see what your brows will look like and we can adjust them if it’s not quite what you want before we start the microblading.
> Everyone wants to know how much microblading hurts. We can’t say it’s completely pain-free (many of our clients do say it is!), but most people agree that it’s more uncomfortable than painful. If you’ve ever had a permanent tattoo it’s similar, but not as deep. Plus we’ll numb your brows with cream before we start so you can just relax and try to think of how pretty your eyebrows will be when the microblading is done!
> Your Blink Brow Bar eyebrow technician will deftly use the microblading hand tool, which is sort of like a blade made up of several tiny needles (it’s not a tattoo gun!). We use this to sort of “etch” hair-like lines so precisely placed they look completely realistic. The sound of microblading is best described as a sort of scratching sound. The pigment, which we carefully blend so that the colours match your skin tone and colouring, doesn’t penetrate the skin as deeply as a conventional tattoo, which is what achieves the realism for natural-looking brows.
What to expect following your microblading session at Blink
> Right after microblading session at Blink Brow Bar, you’ll leave with artfully shaped and well defined brows. The colour of the pigment will appear very natural, but it will usually appear much darker the next day.
> Your skin needs to heal after microblading, much the way it would if you had a conventional permanent tattoo. For most people the healing process takes an average of 4 – 6 weeks and as the skin heals your new brows will go through different phases during the process. Your age and skin type will influence how quickly your body regenerates and heals.
> During the initial period of recovery you can expect your skin to flake, which is completely natural. Your brows may appear a little lighter and even with proper after care you may notice that you lose some of the original hairstrokes as your skin peels and flakes. Don’t panic! This is completely normal and expected, which is why we have you come back for a free touch-up about six to eight weeks after your initial microblading session.
> Resist the urge to rub your brows as they heal and about 30 days post-treatment you’ll see the final results of your microblading.
> Visit Blink Brow Bar for your free touch-up session about 6 – 8 weeks after your original appointment and we’ll fill in and finesse as needed for flawless brows.
> Once the touch-ups are completely healed, always apply a small amount of sunscreen with an SPF of 30 to 50 so that the sunshine doesn’t lighten or fade your brow pigment. Remember to avoid your brow line when you apply foundation or powder, too, because any makeup covering your brows will also make them appear lighter.
> Enjoy your gorgeous new look and come back to Blink Brow Bar in about a year for another microblading session. Your semi-permanent brows should last about 12 months, but of course results will vary depending on your skin type and so some results will last a shorter or longer time. You’ll know when it’s time to come see us!
After-Care: Caring for your beautiful new brows!
Your microblading after-care routine is extremely important. How well you care for your new brows post-treatment will impact their appearance and how long they last.
For the first 5-7 days after your microblading procedure, do not let any water, soap, lotion, or makeup touch your eyebrow area. Resist the urge to touch or rub your brows (you don’t want to aggravate your skin and you certainly don’t want to get any dirt, germs, or bacteria transferred to the broken skin!). This means:
– Wash your face very carefully and avoid getting any water or skin care products on or near the affected brow area.
– If you shower, be very careful to keep your face above or away from the shower spray. Many find it simpler to just take a bath the first week.
– Don’t worry if your brows are itchy or if the skin is flaking the first week after your microblading procedure. This is a normal part of the healing process and usually these symptoms quickly pass if you follow the after-care instructions.
After 5-7 days, wash your hands well with soap before gently applying the post-care cream with a clean cotton swab. This can be done once a day at nighttime, but use the cream sparingly as your skin needs to heal itself. Continue to apply the ointment nightly for 7 days.
For a full 14 days after your microblading procedure you must avoid the following activities, which could aggravate your skin as it heals and cause complications:
– Sports or other activities that cause you to perspire or sweat profusely
– Hot baths or showers
– Sauna or hot tub/Jacuzzi
– Sun tanning, salon tanning, or spray tanning
– UV/UVA rays or chemicals, which may cause a shift in colour or premature fading
– Laser or chemical treatments or peelings
– Creams containing Retin A or Glycolic Acid
– Drinking alcohol in excess (which can slow the healing process)
– Performing any indoor or outdoor tasks that generate airborne debris that could contaminate the healing area (for example, heavy housecleaning or yard work)
– Driving in open-air vehicles, such as convertibles, boats, bicycles, or motorcycles
– Picking, peeling, or scratching the micro-pigmented area, which could scar the area or remove the pigment
– Touching the brow area, with the exception of gently applying the post-care cream with a cotton swab
If you experience any unexpected problems with healing, please contact the Blink Brow Bar team immediately to discuss further instructions.
Contact a physician if you develop any of the following symptoms: fever or elevated body temperature, redness at the site, swelling or tenderness, red streaks that radiate from the site towards your heart, and any green/yellow discharge that is foul in odor.